The research of Nanotechnology in Wang Lab is to use functionalized nanomaterials for biopharmaceutics and medicine. As PI or co-Investigator on several projects, Dr. Wang explored the applications of surface-modified liposomes for targeted drug delivery. He demonstrated that anti-cardiac troponin I antibody-modified liposomes significantly increased the targeting efficiency of oligonucleotides to ischemic myocardium tissues , and tamoxifen modified lipid bilayer can improve the pharmacokinetic profile of liposomal daunorubicin with enhanced therapy for breast cancer . He also indicated that P-aminophenyl-α-D-mannopyranoside conjugated liposomes are a promising brain-drug delivery system that could penetrate the blood-brain barrier to improve brain delivery and targeting intracerebral regions, especially in the cerebellum and cerebral cortex . Dr. Wang demonstrated the feasibility of using nanofibrous materials for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine [4-7]. Dr. Wang also created various functional nanomaterials for biosensors and diagnosis [8-11]. For example, he has worked with colleagues to develop photosensitive nanoporous and nanofibrous materials for biosensing applications [12, 13] and environmental health research [14, 15].1) Liu M, Li M, Sun S, Li B, Du D, Sun J, Cao F, Li H, Jia F, Wang T, Chang N, Yu H, Wang Q, Peng H. The use of antibody modified liposomes loaded with AMO-1 to deliver oligonucleotides to ischemic myocardium for arrhythmia therapy. Biomaterials. 2014; 35(11):3697-707. PMID: 24468403
2) Li M, Yu H, Wang T, Chang N, Zhang J, Du D, Liu M, Sun S, Wang R, Tao H, Shen Z, Wang Q, Peng H. Tamoxifen embedded in lipid bilayer improved the oncotarget of liposomal daunorubicin in vivo. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 2014; 2(12):1619-25.
3) Du D, Chang N, Sun S, Li M, Yu H, Liu M, Liu X, Wang G, Li H, Liu X, Geng S, Wang Q, Peng H. The role of glucose transporters in the distribution of p-aminophenyl-α-d-mannopyranoside modified liposomes within mice brain. Journal of controlled release. 2014; 182:99-110. PMID: 24631863
4) Xin S, Li X, Wang Q, Huang R, Xu X, Lei Z, Deng H. Novel layer-by-layer structured nanofibrous mats coated by protein films for dermal regeneration. Journal of biomedical nanotechnology. 2014; 10(5):803-10. PMID: 24734533
5) Li W, Li X, Wang Q, Pan Y, Wang T, Wang H, Song R, Deng H. Antibacterial activity of nanofibrous mats coated with lysozyme-layered silicate composites via electrospraying. Carbohydrate polymers. 2014; 99:218-25. PMID: 24274499
6) Ding F, Deng H, Du Y, Shi X, Wang Q. Emerging chitin and chitosan nanofibrous materials for biomedical applications. Nanoscale. 2014; 6(16):9477-93. PMID: 25000536.
7) Peng H, Liu X, Wang R, Jia F, Dong L, Wang Q. Emerging nanostructured materials for musculoskeletal tissue engineering. J Mater Chem B. 2014; 2(38):6435-6461. PMID: 32261805.
8) Li M, Deng H, Peng H, Wang Q. Functional nanoparticles in targeting glioma diagnosis and therapies. J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2014; 14(1):415-32. PMID: 24730272.
9) Liang Z, Zeng L, Cao X, Wang Q, Wang X, Sun R. Sustainable Carbon Quantum Dots from Forestry and Agricultural Biomass with Amplified Photoluminescence by Simple NH4OH Passivation. Journal of Materials Chemistry C. 2014; 2(45):9760-9766.
10) Shen Z, Luo Y, Wang Q, Wang X, Sun R. High-value utilization of lignin to synthesize Ag nanoparticles with detection capacity for Hg²⁺. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2014; 6(18):16147-55. PMID: 25144307.
11) Peng H, Liu X, Wang G, Li M, Bratlie KM, Cochran E, Wang Q. Polymeric multifunctional nanomaterials for theranostics. J Mater Chem B. 2015; 3(34):6856-6870. PMID: 32262535.
12) Zhou Z, Xiao W, Shi X, Ding B, Wang Q, Zhan Y, Deng H, Du Y. Pore volume and distribution regulation of highly nanoporous titanium dioxide nanofibers and their photovoltaic properties. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2017; 490:74-83. PMID: 27870962.
13) Xie S, Ouyang K, Lao Y, He P, Wang Q. Heterostructured ZnFe(2)O(4)/TiO(2) nanotube arrays with remarkable visible-light photoelectrocatalytic performance and stability. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2017; 493:198-205. PMID: 28092818.
14) Xin S, Zeng Z, Zhou X, Luo W, Shi X, Wang Q, Deng H, Du Y. Recyclable Saccharomyces cerevisiae loaded nanofibrous mats with sandwich structure constructing via bio-electrospraying for heavy metal removal. J Hazard Mater. 2017; 324(Pt B):365-372. PMID: 27847250.
15) Yi Y, Tu H, Zhou X, Liu R, Wu Y, Li D, Wang Q, Shi X, Deng H. Acrylic acid-grafted pre-plasma nanofibers for efficient removal of oil pollution from aquatic environment. J Hazard Mater. 2019 Jun 5;371:165-174. PMID: 30849571.